Reflect Your Values Through Your Will
It’s More Than a Piece of Paper
A will is the most important document you can create. Though often seen as simply a legal document that only those trained to read it can understand, it is so much more.
Your will is your legacy. It dictates how you will be remembered and can be created to reflect your values. That’s why, no matter your age or wealth status, you should be sure to take time to consider this important document this year.
Use your will to:
- Name a guardian for minor children and dependent adults.
- Dictate how you want your assets to be distributed.
- Ensure your pets are taken care of.
- Reduce the administrative expenses of your estate.
- Make sure your support for the organizations you love, like McMurry, continues.
There’s an easy way for you to continue supporting our work without giving anything today: by including a gift to McMurry University in your will.
Advantages of a Gift in Your Will:
- Simplicity. As little as one sentence in your will or living trust is all that is needed to complete your gift.
- Flexibility. Until your will or trust goes into effect, you are free to alter your plans as needed to reflect life’s changes.
- Versatility. You can give a specific item, an amount of money, a gift contingent upon certain events or a percentage of your estate.
Here’s How It Works:
Your estate planning attorney can help you structure a gift so your loved ones will be taken care of first after you’re gone. They will include special language in the will or living trust you create, or add it to existing documents through an amendment called a codicil.
A Gift in Your Estate Plan Is Right for You If:
- You want to make sure your support of McMurry continues after your lifetime.
- You want to balance your generosity to us with an assurance that loved ones are taken care of first.
- You want to maintain the flexibility to change your mind about your gift at any time.
Already Have a Will?
Great! Make sure it is up to date. It’s a good idea to review your will regularly or when you experience a life event such as a marriage, birth or move. This makes sure your will accomplishes what you want and takes your current state’s law into consideration.
A Simple Gift
To learn more about making a gift to support McMurry University in your will, contact Josh Poorman at email@example.com or 325-793-4763. We are happy to help you get started and can provide sample language your attorney can use to make your gift.
Information contained herein was accurate at the time of posting. The information on this website is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in any examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact your individual results. California residents: Annuities are subject to regulation by the State of California. Payments under such agreements, however, are not protected or otherwise guaranteed by any government agency or the California Life and Health Insurance Guarantee Association. Oklahoma residents: A charitable gift annuity is not regulated by the Oklahoma Insurance Department and is not protected by a guaranty association affiliated with the Oklahoma Insurance Department. South Dakota residents: Charitable gift annuities are not regulated by and are not under the jurisdiction of the South Dakota Division of Insurance.